- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chilies, finely diced (seeds and membranes removed for a milder salsa)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from 1 lime
Season tomatoes with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer or colander set in a bowl and allow to drain for 20 to 30 minutes. Discard liquid.
Combine drained tomatoes with onion, chilies, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt. Pico de gallo can be stored for up to 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.